The Way I Create

The creation of art is a complex process which is a result of emotions, mind, and technical knowledge. The philosophical conclusions and emotions combined with our techniques and knowledge result in various forms of art.


Pagliacci, bronze, 2012
Generally before I start a piece I only know the starting point, the end result is an unknown. Starting point is simply an idea occupying my mind for some time.  It is very hard to separate art and life for me because observations that lead to ideas continuously take place and I find myself thinking about possibilities of new subjects all the time.  When I have an inspiration, I allow the idea to live until it matures through my own perceptions.  It might take months for an idea to become ready. I made my Pagliacci sculpture almost 1 year after I put the first sketch on my book.  




Flamenco dancer, bronze, 2012
When it is time for the realization of an idea I start. I know why I am making it but I do not exactly know what the result is going to look like. There is always a reason and a call to make it, but the result is a mystery.

Creating itself is exhausting, but at the same time relieving.  It is a different experience every time. I work mostly with clay, which mostly responds to my hands but hand has its own dreams and so does the clay. The relationship which forms between my hands and the sculpture is very magical like a relationship with someone: unexpected, joyful, painful. 


Detail from Meditation, bronze, 2012
I stop when I see my idea and some certain life in the sculpture. It is hard to see with unbiased eyes when the work is so new. So I wait. Time demonstrates the strengths or reveals the weaknesses.    

Comments

Popular Posts